Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I'll Fly Away. Oh Glory!!

Today, I'm flying away.

I'm going on my first-ever business trip. My boss and I are flying to Austin, TX for a training meeting. I've been in this job for about 6 months and have gone through a lot of training and growing pains over that time.
This trip is not your ordinary training workshop. I'm going because my predecessor did some things that were not good and this is a means of "correcting" the problem. Even though it's meant as a punishment, I'm going to view this trip as an opportunity for God to teach me more than I know now. And that's a good thing. Isn't it awesome how He takes what's mean for evil and turns it to good? (see Genesis 50:20)

Even though this trip is only for one overnight, it holds great significance in my spiritual life. I know God is already working in me - for good, for victory, and to strengthen my faith. You see, a little over 2 years ago, I went on a trip, on a plane and stayed in a hotel room. It sounds like your average vacation, but it turned out to be the catalyst for a deep-seated anxiety spawned from shame and all kinds of fun stuff like that which I'd never dealt with fully. I won't go into all of the details but I will tell you that it was bad. My husband ended up taking me to our family doctor and I was put on Celexa for anxiety. And God used that medication to calm the storm while I got help in learning to deal with the shame from childhood and the anxiety that was my modus operandi. Never let the world, the church or the enemy tell you that your faith isn't strong enough if you have to take medication!! God can use ANYTHING to heal you. I believe that. Some people He has walk by faith alone, some people need the help of a pill. I was one of the latter.

Over the course of the past two years, I've seen a therapist who has given me practical tools to unearth and crush the long-time chain of worry and fear in which the enemy had me wrapped. I've also been drawn closer to God once again. I think sometimes God allows us to fall hard in order to remind us that we still need Him. As I've drawn closer to the Lord, I've seen people healed in many ways, including myself. About 3 months ago, I sensed it was time to take a leap of faith and go off of the anxiety medication. There was no doubt that God was directing me. I prayed about it and asked for God's wisdom. And I waited until I heard His voice. I didn't share this with anyone and yet the very next Sunday a couple in our church felt led to pray over me and my husband (also on the same meds). They sensed the Lord saying "we are healed" completely. And I took that as a sign. And I stepped out in faith and went off of my medication. Trying to be wise, I weaned myself off gradually because Celexa is known to cause very nasty withdrawal symptoms and that just didn't sound fun to me. And you know what? I didn't have a single withdrawal symptom. Not one. Now that is the power of God!

So fast forward to today, I'm taking this trip, staying in a hotel and even this morning the enemy tried to bring back those old anxiety tapes to mind. I immediately asked people to pray for me, and I turned to God's word. And peace is again in my mind and my heart. And so, because of His glory, I'll fly away...

Isn't God good? How has God brought peace and healing in your life lately? I'd love to have you share!

No comments:

Post a Comment